• Home >
  • RTW  >
Author: Sean Keener

Ricky Bennison – Around-the-World Traveler

  1. When do you leave?
    February 28, 2002

  2. How long do you plan to be away?
    1-6 Months

  3. How old are you?
    19

  4. Nationality
    England

  5. Where do you live now?
    Aylesbury, England

  6. Occupation
    Unemployed

  7. Is this job one that you actually like, or are you only doing it to pay for the trip?
    It’s my career

  8. Have you traveled around the world before?
    No

  9. What is the route you plan to take/places you plan to visit?
    Hopeful itinerary (not definite yet though): Delhi, Kathmandu, Saigon, Bangkok, Melbourne, Sydney, Christchurch, Auckland, Fiji, Tahiti, Los Angeles, Toronto.

  10. Why did you decide to take this trip? What got you into this type of travel, and/or influenced you to go?
    My decision to take this trip was for the larger-than-life adventures possible whilst traveling. I’ve done one such thing before which was a month-long expedition to Peru; I loved the challenge and experience-richness of it. This opened my horizons up to the world, which I fully hope to exploit.

  11. What is your biggest fear about this trip?
    My biggest fear is travelling solo – if I become ill I could be in serious trouble. But that doesn’t seem too likely. A much more likely problem is loneliness, which could be a downer on the trip.

  12. Are your family, friends, co-workers, etc., supportive of you? What is their opinion of your going around the world?
    Some people think it’s a positive challenge to undertake as a person; others are indifferent, they don’t really care as it’s of no interest and hence no consequence to them.

  13. How much planning and preparing have you done?
    Just Enough

  14. What are you packing? What do you consider your most indispensable item(s)?
    Packing general travel equipment: the usual sleeping bag, spare clothes, torch etc. Most indispensable items are probably boots and sleeping bag.

  15. How do you think your round-the-world trip will change your life? How do you think it will affect and change you as a person?
    I doubt it’ll change me markedly as my first real bit of travel to Peru did that by opening up new horizons. My RTW trip will force me to take control of my own destiny (to put it cheesily!) as well as build character.

  16. If you had to sum up your thoughts/feelings about your round-the-world trip in one sentence, what would it be?
    Endless possibilities for an enriching experience both good and bad.

  17. Why do you think people should go on round-the-world trips? Why not just take a regular old one- or two-week vacation instead?
    An RTW trip is not comfy like a holiday. It’s a challenge both mentally and physically where only what you achieve counts. It brings out the real you and what you are capable of.

  18. What is the biggest myth that people have about round-the-world traveling?
    The one I have: I doubt I’ll be coming back alive!!

  19. Why do you like to travel?
    For the challenge, the highs and lows. And the fact there’s no messing around with excuses or social expectations; you either do it or you don’t.

  20. What is your advice for people planning their own RTW trip?
    Just make sure you do it.