• Home >
  • RTW  >
Author: Sean Keener

Shauna Donfeld – Around-the-World Traveler

  1. When do you leave?
    July 2005

  2. How long do you plan to be away?
    1-2 Years

  3. How much have you saved?
    20,000

  4. How old are you?
    27

  5. Nationality
    USA

  6. Where do you live now?
    California, USA

  7. Occupation
    Teacher

  8. Is this job one that you actually like, or are you only doing it to pay for the trip?
    It’s my career

  9. Have you traveled around the world before?
    Yes

  10. What is the route you plan to take/places you plan to visit?
    I’ll be starting in India in July (I know, it’s the worst time to be there weather wise, but I have a few friends who want to join me for the beginning and the end, and that’s where they want to start!), then it’s off to Tibet, SE Asia, Japan, SE Asia, Oz and NZ, Africa, South America and home.

  11. Why did you decide to take this trip? What got you into this type of travel, and/or influenced you to go?
    I have traveled for a few month chunks now and then, and lived in Costa Rica for awhile, but doing a big trip has always been my dream. To just through caution to the wind and see the world in one swoop…So I can spend the rest of my travel days revisiting and filling in the gaps. Travelling is my passion!

  12. What is your biggest fear about this trip?
    I guess the initial solo time…. and the first bout of inevitable montezuma’s revenge in India… and maybe not planing enough – spontaneity is more my style, but this is a big one to wing it.

  13. Are your family, friends, co-workers, etc., supportive of you? What is their opinion of your going around the world?
    Some have been great and want to visit me along the way, some think I’m crazy (but they still want to meet up at some point.)

  14. How much planning and preparing have you done?
    Just Enough

  15. What are you packing? What do you consider your most indispensable item(s)?
    Packing? Not even close to that… but I’ve heard good things about those Keen sandals… All I know is less is more.

  16. How do you think your round-the-world trip will change your life? How do you think it will affect and change you as a person?
    I have been wanting and planning to do this trip for so long, I don’t know what I’ll think about when I get back. Anything could happen, so there’s no way to tell how I’ll change….

  17. If you had to sum up your thoughts/feelings about your round-the-world trip in one sentence, what would it be?
    My excitement is completely distracting me in the rest my day to day life!

  18. Why do you think people should go on round-the-world trips? Why not just take a regular old one- or two-week vacation instead?
    Vacations and travelling are two completely different things. A vacation is a break from life, travelling is a way of life.

  19. Why do you like to travel?
    Meeting people, sharing cultures, breaking routines, and living life to the fullest.

  20. What is your advice for people planning their own RTW trip?
    Make it happen!