Budget Scale: 1-5
1-least expensive; 5-most expensive
3– Travel in South Africa can be cheap, but not as cheap as the rest of the continent. And Cape Town is not as cheap as the rest of South Africa. The biggest cost in Cape Town is going to be transportation related as it’s not an easy city to get around without your own transportation.
Indie Travel Scale: 1-5
1-not a good Indie Travel destination; 5-a great Indie Travel destination
3– Cape Town is a beautiful city with lots of history, and luckily for the indie traveler, it’s not too difficult to find ways to have a great experience that isn’t flooded with other tourists or the same ol’ same ol’.
Indie Travel Tips
Follow these tips for a truly indie experience in Cape Town.
- If you have the funds, rent a car to explore the city and its surroundings
- Explore Noordhoek Beach for find white sand and ferocious waves.
- Check out Kalk Bay in the southern peninsula (you can even take a train there if you can’t afford to rent a car.
- Walk around the University of Cape Town campus and see the oldest university in South Africa.
- Take a drive along the coast from Gordon’s Bay to Kleinmond for some amazing views.
- If you’re into hiking, check out the following hikes around Cape Town, some of them multi-day hikes:
- The Cape of Good Hope Trail in Table Mountain National Park
- Chapman’s Peak to get great views of Hout Bay.
- The Amphitheater inteh Kalk Bay Mountains
Why you should add Cape Town to your RTW travel list
- It’s quite possibly the most pleasant city in Africa
- You don’t want to miss a perfect climate and such a unique cultural mixture
- Cool location, right on the southern tip of Africa
- See Robbin Island and Kruger National Park
- Take a cable car to Table Mountain and enjoy the refreshing air
- Whale watching and wine tours
Why you should not add Cape Town to your RTW travel list
- Compared to the rest of the country, it can be expensive.
- It is remarkably pedestrian unfriendly.
- It can cost a lot to even get there.
Are you heading to Cape Town? What do you need to do?
- Buy a plane ticket to/from Cape Town
- Book a Cape Town hostel
- Book a Cape Town hotel
- Talk to travelers on Africa message boards
- Read travel articles on Africa