Budget Scale: 1-5
1-least expensive; 5-most expensive
3– Johannesburg isn’t as cheap as other parts of South Africa, and South Africa isn’t nearly as cheap as other parts of the continent. The way to get by on the cheap in South Africa is by camping, and those opportunities are few and far between in a city like Joburg.
Indie Travel Scale: 1-5
1-not a good Indie Travel destination; 5-a great Indie Travel destination
3– Johannesburg has gone through a makeover in recent years, and while it still isn’t the safest place on Earth, reports of it being one of the most dangerous are a bit outdated. There are plenty of things to see and do to have yourself an indie travel experience in Joburg.
Indie Travel Tips
Follow these tips to get the most of your trip to Johannesburg
- Rent a car and drive around Johannesburg to do what it is that you want to do. The roads and signage are both excellent.
- Though it’s firmly on the beaten path, there’s a reason why Kruger National Park is so popular. You can join a tour to go see it, or you can rent a car on your own, take the 3-4 hour drive yourself, and explore the park on your terms.
- Not long ago, the inner city was not a place that tourists went, but parts have gone through a revitalization, so be sure to check out the following:
- The Market Theater area for live music and bars
- The university area of Braamfontein has an awesome Saturday market and a great night life.
- Head to Fordsburg for some Indian and Pakistani food and markets.
- Check out the Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens…if you can find them.
Why you should add Johannesburg to your RTW travel list
- Jo’burg is a thriving mixture of music, theatre and people selling anything you can imagine
- Find vibrant, growing city with a dynamic downtown street culture
- Visit the Kruger Nat Park
- Head out on The Table Mountain Cableway
- See Nelson Mandela’s Robben Island
Why you should not add Johannesburg to your RTW travel list
- It can still be dangerous in certain areas, so you have to keep your wits about you.
- It’s one of the most expensive areas of the country and more difficult to do on a budget.
- It can be expensive to get to.
Are you heading to Johannesburg? What do you need to do?
- Buy a plane ticket to/from Johannesburg
- Book a Johannesburg hostel
- Book a Johannesburg hotel
- Talk to travelers on Africa message boards
- Read travel articles on Africa