Budget Scale: 1-5
1-least expensive; 5-most expensive
4– Melbourne isn’t going to be kind on the wallet, but if you use a little ingenuity, you can get by on a near-backpacker budget. You won’t be living the high life, though, that’s for sure.
Indie Travel Scale: 1-5
1-not a good Indie Travel destination; 5-a great Indie Travel destination
3– It can be difficult to have a true indie experience in any large city, but Melbourne is a little different as it’s Australia’s cultural capital.
Indie Travel Tips
Follow these tips to have an indie experience while you’re visiting Melbourne.
- Wander around and take in the Victorian architecture evident around the city. Melbourne has a rich history, much of which can be seen in its architecture.
- If you really want a true Ozzie experience, then go to an Australian rules football match while in Melbourne. There are some seriously passionate fans here.
- There is no shortage of museums, shopping, galleries, theaters, and parks and green space in Melbourne. Take advantage of it all.
- Explore surrounding regions like Grampians National Park.
- Get your own wheels and drive the Great Ocean Road.
- Head out to Phillip Island and check out the ever-popular penguin parade.
Why you should add Melbourne to your RTW travel list
- Learn the rules to Australian Rules football while watching the Bombers beat the Hawks at the MCG
- Or join 90,000 screaming fans at the MCG for the Australian Rules grand final match
- Catch the traditional Boxing Day cricket test match at the MCG
- Experience the 4 seasons in one day that is Melbourne weather
- Discover why Melbourne is called Australia’s cultural capital
- Sip a latte and people watch along trendy Chapel Street
- See the alternative side of Melbourne at the annual Fringe Festival
- Take a ride on one of the historic trams
- Buy a fancy hat and take to the races for Melbourne Cup Day
- Take a flutter at the massive Crown Casino
- Be a kid at the old-fashioned fairground, Luna Park
- Pull out your camera for Phillip Island’s nightly Penguin Parade
- Grab your board and hit the waves at Torquay, Australia’s surfing capital
- Find a designated driver and tour over 30 wineries in the immediate area
- Hit the slopes on Victoria’s renowned snowfields
Why you should not add Melbourne to your RTW travel list
- It’s not going to be nice to your budget and can have you blowing through money quickly.
- The whole four seasons in one day thing we mentioned above. Yeah, that can be rather annoying after a while.
- If you’re traveling here on a RTW trip, then you might have to purchase a new outfit to fit in with the well-dressed of Melbourne. You may even be denied access to a bar or club if you’re not dressed to impress.
Are you heading to Melbourne? What do you need to do?
- Buy a plane ticket to/from Melbourne
- Book a Melbourne hostel
- Book a Melbourne hotel
- Talk to travelers on the Australasia and the Pacific message boards
- Read travel articles on Melbourne
Photo credit: 1