Budget Scale: 1-5
1-least expensive; 5-most expensive
4– A large city in western Europe means high prices. It’s difficult to get by on a typical backpacker’s budget, but if you are traveling in Europe, you already know that.
Indie Travel Scale: 1-5
1-not a good Indie Travel destination; 5-a great Indie Travel destination
2.5– Edinburgh may not produce a ton of culture shock for most westerners, but if you come during certain times of the year or certain festivals, you’ll have a great experience. Just because there’s no language barrier and travel is easier than other parts of the world doesn’t mean you can’t have a great indie travel experience.
Indie Travel Tips
Check out these tips for having a true indie travel experience in Edinburgh.
- Festivals, festivals, festivals. Edinburgh has one of the best New Year’s street parties in the world, called Hogmanay, and the largest arts festival in the world in the summer (along with a myriad of other summer festivals).
- The city is drop dead gorgeous, so grab your camera or sketchbook, or just take it all in while wandering around and enjoying the beauty.
- If you are lucky enough to be there at the right time, which is only one day a year, take advantage of the Edinburgh Doors Open Day, where many historic buildings that are typically not accessible are open to the public.
- The Royal Botanic Garden is a great place to chill and hang out, and it’s free.
- If you’re looking to get away from the crowds and city, take a stroll along the Water of Leith.
Why you should add Edinburgh to your RTW travel list
- Who wouldn’t want to visit the Athens of the North?
- Edinburgh has long been known as the literary capital of the English speaking world.
- Getting around the city is rather easy as most of the sites are in a compact area of the city. It’s always nice to only have to use your own two feet to get around.
- You have to visit the Edinburgh Castle.
- Check out some rugby or football (soccer to you Yanks) while there.
- Sample some whiskey while there.
Why you should not add Edinburgh to your RTW travel list
- The high costs can keep a RTW traveler from staying here very long.
- It can cost a lot to get in and out of Scotland when on a RTW trip.
- Lots of crowds during the coolest times of the year (summer festivals).
Are you heading to Edinburgh? What do you need to do?
- Buy an international plane ticket
- Book an Edinburgh hostel
- Book an Edinburgh hotel
- Talk to travelers on the Europe message boards
- Read travel articles on Edinburgh
Photo credit: 1