Author: Sean Keener

Edinburgh, Scotland

Europe: Round-the-World Travel Destinations

Budget Scale: 1-5

1-least expensive; 5-most expensive
4– A large city in western Europe means high prices. It’s difficult to get by on a typical backpacker’s budget, but if you are traveling in Europe, you already know that.

Indie Travel Scale: 1-5

1-not a good Indie Travel destination; 5-a great Indie Travel destination
2.5– Edinburgh may not produce a ton of culture shock for most westerners, but if you come during certain times of the year or certain festivals, you’ll have a great experience. Just because there’s no language barrier and travel is easier than other parts of the world doesn’t mean you can’t have a great indie travel experience.
Indie Travel Tips
Check out these tips for having a true indie travel experience in Edinburgh.

  • Festivals, festivals, festivals. Edinburgh has one of the best New Year’s street parties in the world, called Hogmanay, and the largest arts festival in the world in the summer (along with a myriad of other summer festivals).
  • The city is drop dead gorgeous, so grab your camera or sketchbook, or just take it all in while wandering around and enjoying the beauty.
  • If you are lucky enough to be there at the right time, which is only one day a year, take advantage of the Edinburgh Doors Open Day, where many historic buildings that are typically not accessible are open to the public.
  • The Royal Botanic Garden is a great place to chill and hang out, and it’s free.
  • If you’re looking to get away from the crowds and city, take a stroll along the Water of Leith.

Why you should add Edinburgh to your RTW travel list

  • Who wouldn’t want to visit the Athens of the North?
  • Edinburgh has long been known as the literary capital of the English speaking world.
  • Getting around the city is rather easy as most of the sites are in a compact area of the city. It’s always nice to only have to use your own two feet to get around.
  • You have to visit the Edinburgh Castle.
  • Check out some rugby or football (soccer to you Yanks) while there.
  • Sample some whiskey while there.

Why you should not add Edinburgh to your RTW travel list

  • The high costs can keep a RTW traveler from staying here very long.
  • It can cost a lot to get in and out of Scotland when on a RTW trip.
  • Lots of crowds during the coolest times of the year (summer festivals).

Are you heading to Edinburgh? What do you need to do?

Back to RTW Travel Destinations
Africa
Asia
New Zealand, Australasia, South Pacific
Central America
Europe
Middle East
North America
South America

Photo credit: 1