Author: Angela Guezen

Get On Board With an Australia Rail Pass

With an Australia rail pass enjoy flexible travel across this vast continent known for a wide range of beautiful settings and attractions. From the Great Barrier Reef in Cairns, to Ayres Rock in the Outback, an Australia rail pass is the perfect accessory to savour the journey just as much as the destination. Begin in the city of your choice and map out a route to include all the favourites.

Famous Rail Journeys

The Indian Pacific

The Indian Pacific from Sydney to Adelaide to Perth runs 3 nights in either direction and has departures twice weekly in both directions. After departing Sydney enjoy stops in Broken Hill, Adelaide, Kalgoorlie and finally Perth. Two highlights of the Indian Pacific journey are the Blue Mountains and the plains of The Nullarbor desert, making for spectacular views from your train window and the opportunity to spot wildlife including Australia’s wedge tailed eagle.

The Ghan

On the Ghan, begin in Adelaide and travel through the red sands of the Outback, stopping in Alice Springs famous for Ayres Rock and Katherine known for its spectacular Katherine Gorge. Arrive in Darwin, a beautiful port city and gateway to Asia. The Ghan runs twice weekly from Adelaide to Alice Springs to Darwin and the journey takes two nights in either direction.

The Overland

The Overland runs a daylight service between Adelaide and Melbourne in both directions, three times a week. The Overland now has upgraded facilities, with new levels of comfort and the choice between Red Service and Red Premium Service. The Overland stops in charming towns including Murray Bridge, Bordertown, Nhill, Dimboola, Horsham, Ararat and Geelong giving you a taste for Australia’s country life.

Select Your Australia Rail Pass

Austrail Pass

ausrailWith an Austrail Pass enjoy all the rail journeys listed above, plus travel on QR TravelTrain and CountryLink trains. This means you can hop on the trains along the East Coast to Brisbane, the popular surfers’ paradise and Cairns, the departure point for the Great Barrier Reef. You can buy the Austrail Pass online. Here’s what you need to know.

  • The Austrail Pass allows unlimited travel over a 6 month period.
  • Trains that accept the Austrail Pass include The Ghan, Indian Pacific, Overland, The Sunlander, Tilt Train, Spirit of the Outback, The Inlander, The Westlander, Xplorer and XPT.
  • The Austrail Pass is only available to foreign Passport holders.
  • A reservation for each individual sector of travel is necessary to obtain a valid travel ticket.
  • Fuel surcharges apply on The Ghan, Indian Pacific and The Overland.
  • Pass holders may upgrade to travel in First Class, Business Class or Red Premium Service Seats and sleeping berths on payment of the upgrade amount.

Rail Explorer Pass

The Rail Explorer Pass provides access to rail services operated by the Great Southern Rail Network including The Ghan, Indian Pacific and The Overland. Discover Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, Alice Springs, Darwin, Melbourne and other exciting destinations in between.

  • The Rail Explorer Pass allows unlimited travel over a 6 month period.
  • Economy class travel in a Red Service and Red Service Daynighter seat.
  • The Rail Explorer Pass is only available to foreign Passport holders.
  • A reservation for each individual sector of travel is necessary to obtain a valid travel ticket.
  • Fuel surcharges apply on The Ghan, Indian Pacific and The Overland.
  • Student/ backpacker fares are available! Please note a Student ID or associated backpacker association ID is required.

Photo by Paul Mannix