Author: BootsnAll

It’s Time to Meet, Plan, Go

Back in 1998 when BootsnAll was first born, the idea of taking a round-the-world trip was more than a little strange to most Americans. The BootsnAll travel forums provided a place for travelers whose friends and family thought their long-term travel dreams were beyond the pale to meet (at least in a virtual sense), commiserate, and share ideas. Some of the people who started their travels with the help of BootsnAll back then are still around on the boards, passing on their advice to the newest generation of travelers.

Now, 12 years later, the idea of taking a long-term trip is only marginally less weird-sounding to many people in the United States. There’s been a little progress, it’s true, but the concept of a “gap year” remains foreign to most Americans for whom a two-week vacation every year is considered a luxury.

In other words, it’s high time the gap year idea got an ego boost – it’s high time for Meet, Plan, Go.

The founders of Meet, Plan, Go have as their mission to make the phrase “career break” something that doesn’t require lengthy explanations or elicit quizzical looks. On September 14, 2010, the first Meet, Plan, Go event will take place in 13 cities across North America. In each city, local hosts who have either already taken long-term trips or are in the planning stages have gathered an assortment of experienced travelers to be on hand to meet and chat with aspiring long-term travelers. It’s the ideal opportunity to get face-to-face with people who have lived the life you’re dreaming of, both to get practical tips and to get inspired.

It’s the BootsnAll boards on steroids, and in real life.

To make Meet, Plan, Go even more enticing, in addition to getting to meet with other like-minded travelers there are also some fantastic prizes up for grabs at each event (including trips) provided by sponsors like GAP Adventures and GeoVisions. The event is completely free, too, so you have no excuse not to attend.

Some of the Meet, Plan, Go locations have already sold out; although each location has a waiting list, if the city nearest you is already full or there isn’t a city close to you on this year’s list, be sure to sign up to stay informed about future Meet, Plan, Go events (there’s a signup form on the right-hand side of every page of the Meet, Plan, Go website).

Because the mission of Meet, Plan, Go is so in line with the reason we started this website back in 1998, BootsnAll is pleased to be a media sponsor of the event. We’re excited to partner with people who value travel experiences as much as we do, and we look forward to helping make the “gap year” a logical and viable option for everyone who wants it.

For more information, check out the official Meet, Plan, Go site and see the list of 2010 event locations.