Author: Melinda Rees

Masai Mara – Kenya Travel Guide

Located to the south of Nairobi, and bordering Tanzania, the Masai Mara forms part of the huge Serengeti eco-system (map). The Mara spreads over 1510 square kilometres of rolling plains, sudden rocky outcrops, and green winding rivers.

Not only is the Mara blessed with this stunning landscape, but its animal diversity is one of the greatest in Africa. Surrounded by the grazing lands of the Masai people, the Mara is a sanctuary for lion, elephant, buffalo, rhino and leopard. All of the “Big Five” are easily found in the Mara. The sweet grasses and abundant water ensure a full compliment of plains game such as the Impala and Thompsons gazelle. The deep river pools provide homes for Hippo and crocodiles.

Each year, generally in August/September, the Mara is host to the spectacular Wildebeest Migration, one of the wonders of the world! Literally millions of these awkwardly shaped ungulates move across the open plains in an endless stream stretching from horizon to horizon. The movement of this vast herd is fascinating in itself, but it is seldom that a day goes by without the added bonus of watching the predators that follow the herd. Lion, leopard, cheetah and wild dogs rely on the herd for food. Spotting one of these magnificent predators is more or less guaranteed at this time.

The breath-taking beauty of the Masai Mara and its astonishing diversity of wildlife combine to ensure that the Mara is one of the most popular stops on a Kenyan safari.

Best Times to Visit
August/September for the Wildebeest Migration
Rainy season: April-May, November
Temperatures:
Day: 22-26°C, 72-79°F
Night: 8-11°C, 46-52°F
Altitude: 1500 – 2170 meters

Questions?

If you want more information about this area you can email the author or check out our Africa Insiders page.

Africa Travel Guide

Africa Travel Stories

Eco-resorts.com

Newsletter

Go ahead, sign up for the BootsnAll bi-monthly newsletter. It’s entertainment and helps you keep up with what’s going on around the world.

Newsletter Sign-Up
(enter your e-mail)