Planning a RTW (round the world) trip is a time consuming process, and for the first time RTW traveler, it can seem overwhelming. But if you follow BootsnAll’s 7 Steps to Planning a RTW Trip, you can set your worries aside and be well on your way to setting off on that trip of a lifetime. Each step has multiple articles to help get you on the road!
Step 1 – Your Why and Where To Begin
Once you finally take that leap and make the decision to travel long-term, panic often sets in. You have a million questions you want answered. Slow down and realize that everything can and will fall into place. Step 1 takes you through the very beginning stages of planning your trip and sets the foundation for the rest of the planning process.
Step 2 – Money – Saving Tips and Figuring Out Costs
Figuring out how much this whole thing is going to cost can be a stressful experience. Your first budget step is thinking about where to go. Step 2 takes you through the necessary processes of estimating how much this whole thing might cost you.
- How to Decide Where to Go on a RTW Trip
- Costs of RTW Travel
- Saving Money for Your RTW Trip
- 28 Ways to Save Money for Traveling
- What to do with All Your Stuff While You’re Gone
- The Real Costs of RTW Travel
Step 3 – Your Route, Plane Tickets, and Your Job
You no doubt already have a list of some sort in your head with all the places you want to visit, but unless you are traveling for an unlimited amount of time and with an unlimited budget, you’re most likely going to have to make some tough decisions. Step 3 takes you through the process of prioritizing, planning that route, and thinking about things like flights, your job, and immunizations.
- Immunizations for Your RTW Trip
- What to do with Your Job
- The Benefits of Slowing Down During a RTW Trip
- RTW Airfare vs. Buy As You Go
- Solidifying Your RTW Route
Step 4 – Travel Details
When planning a trip around the world, there are all types of big ticket items you have to be aware of and think about. But there are also smaller details that have to be on your mind. Step 4 takes you through the little things.
- Telling Family About Your RTW Trip
- Accommodations on Your RTW Trip
- Overland Transport
- Travel Insurance for Your RTW Trip
Step 5 – Gear and Packing
The idea of carrying everything you need on your back (or rolled behind you) for an extended trip, whether it be a few months or a few years, is quite the daunting task. That’s why we’ve put together multiple resources for you to assist. Step 6 is all about making the right decisions for youas far as gear, what to take, and how to pack it all.
- Gadgets for Your RTW Trip
- How to Choose Clothes for Your RTW Trip
- Everything You Need to Know About Finding the Perfect Travel Luggage
- How to Pack for a RTW Trip (complete with downloadable packing lists)
Step 6 – Pre-Trip Considerations/To-Do’s
There are several things that you simply have to take care of and think about before leaving- like visas, automating your bills, and getting rid of your housing. Step 6 covers all that and more.
- Handling the Housing Situation for a RTW Trip
- How to Sort Out Visas for a RTW Trip
- How to Successfully Automate Your Finances For Travel
Step 7 – Getting Ready for Life on the Road
The final step has you thinking and preparing for life on the road. Complete this step, have a going away party, pack your bags, and go!
- How to Stay Safe on the Road
- Staying Healthy on the Road
- All Things Money: What Banks and Credit Cards are Best for Travel
- Working on the Road
- Staying Connected during Your RTW Trip
- Should You Start a Travel Blog for Your RTW Trip?
Be sure to read and download our Master RTW Checklist to tick off all your to-do’s.Next: RTW Master Checklist »
Photo by: Corto Maltese