Author: Milana Homsi

Ghana Travel Information

Travel Guides
Make sure you pick up a travel guide before going to Ghana, because the travel book selection here is nothing but pitiful. Lonely Planet’s “West Africa” is alright, but better is Bradt’s “Guide to Ghana” by Philip Briggs, which gives you in-depth coverage about Ghana.

Where we stayed
In Accra we stayed with friends, but we heard good things about the Hotel de California (tel: 226199) on the corner of Kojo Thompson and Castle Rds.

In Cape Coast we stayed at the Sammo Guesthouse (tel: 33242) on Jukwa Rd.

The Presbyterian Guesthouse (tel: 23879) is the best place in Kumasi to meet other travellers. Call in advance, as it is often full.

Places we visited
Most of the places we visited don’t have proper addresses per say. Just hop into a taxi and let the driver know where you are going. Chances are he knows how to get there, and if he doesn’t, he will find out from other drivers.

Accra
The Arts Centre (The Centre for National Culture) is on 28th February Road. Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park is opposite the Parliament House. If you are heading to Labadi Beach, it is best entered just beside the Labadi Beach Hotel. Kokribite and the Academy of African Music and Arts (tel: 665987) is about 30km west of Accra. They also offer the Kokribite Beach Resort, an onsite hotel which is very pleasant.

Cape Coast
The Cape Coast Castle is at the end of Commercial Street, just beside the shore. Kakum National Park is about 30 km north of Cape Coast. Take a taxi from Cape Coast for about $7. Hans’ Botel is halfway between Kakum and Cape Coast.

Kumasi
The gigantic Kumasi (Kejetia) market is right in the centre of the city. Manhiya Palace Museum is off of Kotoko Road, north of the market. Lake Bosumtwi is 40 km south-east of Kumasi. You must take a taxi here, as the local minibuses (tro-tros) are very irregular.

Internet
The best Internet place in Accra is definitely at the Paloma Shopping Mall on Ring Rd Central. Kumasi’s best Internet access was around the corner from the Presbyterian Guesthouse, above the Shell Station. We didn’t find any Internet Cafes in Cape Coast.