Author: Ido Feldman

Highlights of Greece

Greece has been a tourist hot spot ever since its modern inception. It is also well-known for its earlier periods, packed with history. In fact, Greece regularly makes the top 20 list of must-see tourist destinations in the world for TripAdvisor and other publications.

Greece and the Greek Islands feature three main cultural aspects that cannot go unnoticed: ancient civilization architecture, fantastic landscapes, and a flourishing tourist trade. Greece is hot in the summertime, I am not going to lie to you. However, the beaches and pristine waters make it all worth it, especially if you utilize travel services such as Airbnb, Airtreks, and Tripedia. With these sites, you can find affordable lodging, cheap RTW flights, and Greece-specific tips and tricks on having the best vacation of your life.

Over the past decade, Greece’s tourism trade has snowballed with all kinds of travelers frequenting the area, from celebrities to politicians, singers, models, and people like you and I. Greece is visited year-round and some even make it a residence. If you’d rather avoid the crowds and see Greece from a local perspective, check out Unknown Greece: 9 Places to Avoid The Crowds.

As Greece has much to offer, staying for a couple of weeks, if possible, would be ideal in order to take the essentials in. Exploring the entire country in-depth would take around a year due to Greece’s additional islands.

Discover Greece

Photo by Nils on UnsplashPhoto by Nils on Unsplash

Wondering why Greece is so worth a visit? Allow me to give you a few starter reasons: the natural scenery, the art, the architecture, the beaches, amazing views, and a warm and accepting culture rich in history. Greece has so much more to offer than just the beaches, nightlife, and Mediterranean feel. We’ve put together a list of 5 Travel Tips for making the most of your time.

 

Are you a fan of art or architecture? Perhaps both? Visit the Acropolis of Athens, a 5th century BC temple monument on a small hilltop. Find your way to the Parthenon, the iconic 5th century BC Athenian Ruins of a Temple. I assure you, these structures are breathtaking. You can also visit the Acropolis Museum for a bit of ancient history. This museum features ancient treasures within it. Again, visiting the Acropolis is a once in a lifetime opportunity for many.

Discover Athens

Athens is the capital city of Greece and is quite a lot to take in should you get the chance to visit. All of the sights I mentioned earlier are located in Athens. No matter how large and unbelievable these sights may be, there is still much more to see in Athens than meets the eye. Consider signing up for an affordable tour to see as much as possible.

 

Photo by Inma Ibáñez on UnsplashPhoto by Inma Ibáñez on Unsplash

 

The Athens Highlights: A Mythological Tour allows travelers the unique opportunity to witness all of the main Athens highlights. The Athens Highlights Tour will feature a guide who will navigate his way through architectural sites, showing off an array of structures while providing all the facts that make them so legendary. Travelers will also be able to hear the stories behind Athens from its discovery to its golden age retold. Learn about wars, rebirth, and mythological history. Not only will visitors see all the main sights, they’ll also discover some of the smaller yet equally impressive sights that sometimes go unvisited.

Discover Nafplio

Let me start by saying that Nafplio is one of the most romantic spots in all of Greece. It is also one of the most beautiful towns in the country. At one point between 1823 – 1834 it was even the capital city of the ‘Greek State.’ Nafplio is a seaport town; an excellent place for beach visits, sun, and fresh air.

Photo by Chris Lawton on UnsplashPhoto by Chris Lawton on Unsplash

Make your way through the town and take in the charming neighborhoods, welcoming culture, and local activities. Nafplio itself is of medieval design, with narrow alleys featuring cobblestone walkways and neoclassical mansions surrounded by lovely Bougainvillea trees. You’ll find many Turkish fountains in the area for a quick stop and wish or kiss moment. This town has so many photo opportunities; you could easily fill a memory card in a camera.

 

Once you reach the heart of the city, discover Syntagma Square and all of the historic buildings within the vicinity. From various Turkish mosques to the Archaeological Museum and the Municipal Gallery—this little town has so much to offer visitors. I strongly suggest swinging by, should you make your way to Greece.

Discover a once in a lifetime adventure

Greece is one of those places that almost seems like a fantasy – at least for me. It’s a place and a culture that we have all heard about our entire lives. Not only in school, history class, geography, and the like – but all of the mythological history as well. Greece has been more influential than one would think. If you ever get the chance to witness Greece for yourself, ensure you do not pass up the opportunity.