Author: The Global Travellers

Tim and Mari’s World Tour #12

Gong Xi Fa Cai

Have a happy and prosperous lunar New Year

On the 3rd of February, with 6 bucks in our pockets, Mari and I jumped onto a bus at 6am. We had a dew drenched tent stuffed in our backpack, and our clothes were less than clean.  The only money we had left when we got to the airport bought us a coffee.  We boarded the plane and the moment food was passed around we wolfed it down.  (Sir and madam, would you like a drink with breakfast – sure do you have any VB)

So now that we have arrived in Asia, our lives have taken a turn on the upswing.  A couple from Canada that are friends of the family, James and Nancy, are teaching in the Canadian School here in Singapore.  They were happy to have us for a visit, and Mari and I have been enjoying the easy life for the last week.  The perks that we had grown unaccustomed to include a swimming pool, cheap food, regular showers, and A BED.  This is the absolute highlight.  (Actually I have enjoyed the roof as well, since we can now pack out of the rain.)

We arrived on the day before Chinese New Year, and spent the weekend wandering around a vacant and closed city, after the celebrations.  We have just welcomed in the year of the dragon (the symbol of vitality, strength and fearlessness).  Notable dragons include Bruce Lee, Mari, and my Dad (I believe I am a cock. Okay, is that too easy or what?)

The city, as a result, has been covered with dragons.  Long and colorful, they adorn every street.  Hordes of Chinese drive in the back of open trucks, with flags and banners, banging on anything that will make a sound.  Lanterns are everywhere, and the smell of burning incense wafts by outside of every temple.

What really struck home for us, that we had landed in Asia, was when we saw our first primates.  We were walking in Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (the only rainforest left in Singapore), and we stumbled upon a troop of long-tailed Macaques.  These little guys are about 30-60 cm tall, and fast.  They are not afraid of humans, and we can get up to 10 cm away, before they look at us with disgust, and leave.  We have translated this to "you have nothing that is obviously edible, please go away".  Until 1930 (October 26) there were tigers in this park, but now all that remains is one stuffed, ratty example of these amazing creatures.

One of the more interesting things about Singapore is the legal system.  The general theme is that it is a "fine" city.  There are fines for pretty much anything including importing gum, jaywalking, spitting, urinating in elevators etc.  The majority of these fines come with a hefty $500 fine, or a work term.  (Smoking in one’s own car was illegal but has proven too hard to enforce, and partial nudity in one’s own house is still illegal.)  Singapore is very serious about enforcing drug offenders however, and having remnants in the blood can result in 10 year imprisonment (don’t arrive from Vancouver eh).