Author: Sean Keener

This Week on BootsnAll: Iran, Weekend Getaways, NOLA & Canada

We’re all over the map this week at BootsnAll… every week, who are we kidding? From Iran to Canada, weekend getaways to destinations you haven’t heard of, to what NOT to wear to Cafe du Monde, in New Orleans, we’ve got your inspiration.
Here’s what you might have missed:

One Man’s Adventure in Iran: Exploring Propaganda, Politics & Fear

iran thumb
What do you do when you are stuck in the doldrums, you’re depressed, and you’ve sunk to new personal lows of couch-potato-dom? Luiz Salles packed his bag and headed to Iran. In search of adventure, a shake up and the return of his groove, he found everything he was looking for, and more.
“Immediately, there was something about the place I couldn’t escape: Iran is a country shrouded in fear. But in time, I realized that a lot of that fear was of my own volition. The fear generates a tiresome, perpetual sense that you’re being watched (even in your hotel room).
Iran is one of the most heavily censored countries in the world. Nearly half of the top 500 websites, including Facebook, YouTube, and unbiased news sources are banned, blocked and monitored – though millions of Iranians use a VPN to access them anyway. The thought of posting on Facebook and ending up like Roya Nobakht terrified me. I did it anyway.”

7 Southern Weekend Getaways

south thumb
Who says you have to leave the country to travel? Or even get out of your own region? Sometimes, the best adventures are right in your back yard. Here are 7 Southern Weekend Getaways to inspire you. All of them an easy adventure from Atlanta, Georgia.
Did you know that there are Kangaroos in Dawsonville, Georgia? (Me either!!)
“Closer to the town of Dawsonville lies a Kangaroo Conservation Center, which is home to the largest mob of kangaroos outside of Australia. However, being a conservation area, they have currently closed their visitor access in 2011 as they work on their conservation practice. Still, it is good to keep this location in mind for when they open again in the future.”

New Orlean’s Travel Tips

NOLA thumb
If you haven’t been to NOLA before but it’s on your bucket list, this one’s for you. Here’s how NOT to look like a newb, and how to dig below the glossy surface of the Big Easy to see the real history, culture and wildlife (human and animal) of the city.
“Long before I’d ever set foot in New Orleans I’d heard the phrase “don’t wear black to Cafe du Monde” enough times to take notice. Once upon a time, that bit of advice had to be explained – the beignets are covered in piles of powdered sugar, you see, and it’s nigh unto impossible to eat them gracefully without looking like your cocaine recovery program isn’t going so well – but these days a few photographs of the fare on offer at Cafe du Monde is enough to underline the wisdom of the advice with no further explanation.
New Orleans itself, on the other hand, often requires quite a bit of explanation…”

10 Secret Canadian Destinations You Should Visit Now

canada thumb
Okay, so did you know that you can visit FRANCE, actual France, with a short boat ride from the Canadian coast? I’m Canadian and I didn’t know that! Yes, yes, you can. But that’s just ONE of the ten secrets that Pam MacNaughtan unveils for you in this piece. Check it out:
“Okay, technically speaking the islands of Saint Pierre and Miquelon belong to France, not Canada, but there are only a short ferry ride away from Newfoundland. How often can you travel to Canada and France in the same day without getting on a plane?
It’s possible to do the islands as a day trip, or you can stay overnight. You’ll be going to France, so you’ll need a passport and some Euros stuffed in your pockets for spending money while you’re there. Wander the streets, sit at a café, go shopping, treat yourself to French cuisine.
This is a destination that begs to be bragged about!”