Things to do in Geneva, Illinois
Have you ever been to Geneva? I’m not referring to Geneva in Switzerland but Geneva in Illinois. Yes, you heard me right – Geneva in Illinois. I was recently there for a business trip. It’s a small quaint town full of character, vibrancy and life. If you are ever in the area, don’t miss out on this great find. Here are some suggestions on what to do when you are there:
1. Check into the Herrington Inn & Spa. Their courtyard balcony rooms have luxurious four poster beds which make you feel like royalty. The view from your personal balcony is of Fox River. Each room has a personal whirlpool bath for you to relax and soak away the worries of the world. The house keeper will turn down your bed for you. You will find a bottle of fresh milk and chocolate chip cookies waiting for you before you sleep! The hotel staff are friendly and eager to help. Don’t miss the opportunity to visit their spa and let them pamper you silly!
2. You can take a nice stroll down Fox River or cycle. There are several bike trails that you can try. There is the Fox River Trail which spans for almost 30 miles into Kane County. There’s also the Great Western Trail which crosses small streams and wetlands. These are trails that are easy to cycle on and perfect for a family outing, a romantic date or for a personal excursion of solitude.
3. If you are a history buff, you can sign up for a historic tour of Geneva organized by the Geneva Chamber of Commerce. They are more than happy to customize a tour just for you, irrespective of whether you are travelling in a small or large group. Do call them at 630-232-6060 for more details. You can also visit the Geneva History Centre located at 113, South Third Street to find out more about the richness of the Geneva heritage.
4. There are many shops that you can visit simply by walking around Geneva. You can find a wide range of products from clothes to furniture, antiques to toys. The great thing about Geneva is that you find yourself lost in the uniqueness and atmosphere of each shop that you walk into. It’s almost as though you have been transported to a place of tranquility away from the hustle and bustle of city life. A personal favorite is Serenity Jewelry & Gifts, located at 228, South Third Street. Their jewelry are personally made by the owner, Jamie Bellandi and are very reasonably priced. Do visit their website for a feel of their wonderful creations.
5. If you are hungry from all that walking, cycling and shopping, fear not! There are many exquisite restaurants and cafes to visit in Geneva. Wildwood Restaurant and Lounge on 477, South Third Street serves delicious steaks, seafood dishes, poultry and pasta. A surprising dessert which I tried was their pumpkin cheesecake during Halloween. I’m not a fan of pumpkin but Wildwood’s pumpkin cheesecake made me crave for second helpings!
A good comprehensive website on the places to see and the things to do in Geneva is managed by the Geneva Chamber of Commerce.
Hope you will enjoy your visit to Geneva!
photo by karla kaulfuss